Monday, January 18, 2021
Sunday, January 17, 2021
Dead Fly 96 Apparel
Acrylic stamp on white cotton
All this stamping going on! Although I looked up how to do a silk screen, it really was beyond anything I could do, so as a way of creating some Dead Fly apparel, I stamped a white T shirt with a Dead Fly stamp from Dead Fly 94. Starving artist that I am, I hesitated to buy a brand new T shirt for this project and instead went to our local thrift shop to look for a suitable one at a price I could afford. The picture hardly shows off its true beauty so at some point I'll get someone to model it. It's a one of a kind. I don't have any intention of doing a bunch of them and starting a Dead Fly clothing line at this time. But I'll let you know if I change my mind.
The third, well, fourth actually if you include the Thanksgiving card (#41), in a series of Holiday cards I make for my family and a few close friends, here we have Froggy out doing her holiday shopping. This as well as the others are now available as greeting cards and proudly displayed at The Arts Underground* in Lewisburg, PA on a rotating card rack, an investment I made so as to get some money for the project till I have that big show and start selling off the individual pieces. To see the others in the card series go back to Dead Flies 41, 42, and 73.
Saturday, December 21, 2019
I've been reading about pour paintings using silicone but have no idea how to do one. But I did have some extra packets of silicone laying around so one day slathered the canvas with it and then just started painting away. Sometimes the paint would sit on top of the silicone. Then it would sink to the bottom. It certainly didn't slow down the dry time, which I thought would happen. What was neat about it is that new colors layered over the old like glazes, but then dried so quickly that they could be blended. It's best to see this one up close and real to appreciate how the paint worked.
Harking back to the original dead fly which was on a manila folder, I created this piece of art using a manila folder and colored pencils. It took a long time and I have a stack of trial and error dead flies on manila folders that were all part of the process.
Here is an experiment. Sometimes I see things in my mind and then just want to try them to see if they work out in reality. For this I made a base out of aluminum foil then stitched that to the canvas. Then I covered it with plaster tape even wrapping the wire legs. Then I filled in the gabs with caulking and after several days of drying time painted it. The canvas is painted "manila folder yellow" to recreate the first dead fly on the first manila folder. When it's hung, depending on the light source, the fly casts it's own shadow which changes because light changes.
This one was made using aluminum foil as the base, covered with Sculpey. The wings are made of copper wire twisted till it took shape. I tried again soldering them together buy need to learn a whole lot more about soldering before I'll ever be successful at it. The legs are pipe-cleaners, singed to make them look like fly legs, then covered with some Sculpey here and there. A quick trip to the thrift shop and I found a small lamp which I took apart for the base. This particular piece is sized right and would look great on an executive's desk. Hence the name - The Executive
Tuesday, July 30, 2019
Thursday, April 25, 2019
Monday, April 1, 2019
Still at it with the drips. I had a rather disturbing week and needed to work stuff out. Started with red paint on canvas - heavy coat with extender - dropped on some black - tried to make flies out of some of the drips and splotches. That dint work out. Decided to destroy the painting but not the canvas so took it outside and ran it under the spigot. At a point of all the heavy paint getting washed away the images started to take form and at which point I shut off the water and brought what was left inside to dry flat. Then played with it for a couple of days here and there till it looked done. I feel better for having painted this one. Thank you.
I am trying out some new paint here and deiced to play fast and loose with it. A splotch of watered down black paint on the canvas, step back, see if I can see the fly - then a few quick strokes to bring it into focus. Key here was Work quickly! Paint dries fast!
I actually used those pastel pencils to create this work. I used them for the fine detail. I still like the sticks better, though. The chalk goes on more like paint. This sat on the easel for a while with me going back and forth on the shadows. I could stand to try it again at some point. The apple at on the table long enough to rot. Had it been summer, I'm sure it would have attracted flies. As it was, I tossed the apple outside for the chickens to peck at and used my tiny fly sculpture for the stand-in model.
Back to the basics once again. After the failure of the pastel pencil study I thought I best get back to an exercise in just plain drawing so I worked on this sketch in charcoal. I want to do some major works and needed to study the intricacies of the fly's wings - just in case I decide to get that detailed.